Looking for affordable prices on hearing aid batteries? Shop Beltone's online store!
At Beltone, we know your hearing aids play a significant role in your quality of life, and we want you to get the most out of your investment. Understanding your hearing aid batteries will help you get the best hearing experience possible with your Beltone hearing aids.
Hearing aids come in all kinds of sizes and styles. And, just as hearing aid styles vary, so do the styles and lives of hearing aid batteries.
There are two main types of hearing aid batteries:
- Rechargeable batteries
- Zinc-air disposable batteries
There are several factors that affect hearing aid battery life, including:
- Hearing aid size
- Hearing aid battery size
- Hearing aid hours of use per day
- Hearing aid amplification strength
- Hearing aid’s amount of wireless streaming
Rechargeable hearing aid batteries
The same type of battery that powers smartphones, tablets, and laptops is now available for most newer hearing aid models. With high energy density and a small footprint, lithium-ion rechargeable batteries can deliver enough power for up to 30 hours of continuous use for hearing aid users.
For example, in the Beltone Amaze, the rechargeable battery is part of the hearing aid, so you don’t have to fumble with any small pieces.
Simply place the whole hearing aid into the charger each night, and it will be ready to go for up to 30 hours by the next morning. It can also power up quickly enough to last for eight hours after just 30 minutes of charging.
Zinc-air disposable batteries
Small silver discs, zinc-air batteries are not rechargeable and must be discarded after use (typically 5-7 days). They come in five sizes that fit the various hearing aid styles. Zinc-air batteries are activated by oxygen which is why they are factory-sealed with a sticker that must be removed before placing them into the hearing aids.
How to care for your disposable hearing aid batteries
While battery life is more of an art than a science in digital hearing aids, it’s been our experience that typically, a digital hearing aid battery lasts from 5 to 7 days. If your hearing aid battery life is noticeably shorter than this, consult with a Beltone Hearing Care Professional. We can check the battery contacts in your hearing aid, test for battery drain, and try to determine what’s happening with your hearing aid battery.
There are many easy steps you can take to improve the life of hearing aid batteries, including:
- Always use the correct battery size for your specific hearing aid
- Store hearing aid batteries at room temperature to retain up to 97% of their power for a full year
- NEVER refrigerate your hearing aid batteries, and avoid storing them in hot or humid locations like bathrooms
- Open the battery compartment of your hearing aid nightly — and whenever you are not wearing it — to prevent moisture from building up
- Turn your hearing aid off whenever you are not using it
- Remove the battery completely if you will not be using your hearing aid for an extended period of time
- If you use zinc-air batteries, leave the battery tab in place until you are ready to use the battery; battery tabs cannot be replaced once they have been removed
- If you use zinc-air batteries, remove the battery tab and wait a full minute prior to inserting them in your hearing aid so that the batteries can fully charge
Additional tips for caring for your digital hearing aid batteries
In life, it’s sometimes surprising how paying attention to the little things can really pay off. The same holds true for caring for your hearing aid batteries.
Consider these additional tips:
- Change hearing aid batteries immediately when they become low
- Always carry extra batteries in case your hearing aid battery unexpectedly loses power
- If your hearing aid battery loses power, remove it immediately
- Keep hearing aid batteries away from other metal objects, such as keys or coins, to prevent them from discharging power
- When purchasing hearing aid batteries, always check the date on the package; the approximate shelf life of hearing aid batteries is three years
- To get the best experience possible, use only Beltone brand hearing aid batteries in your Beltone hearing aids; no hearing aid battery provides longer life than Beltone brand batteries
Please call us today at 1-800-BELTONE if you're showing any signs of hearing loss or book your free appointment here.