How to Clean and Care for Your Hearing AidsWith regular hearing aid cleaning and maintenance, you can prolong the lifespan of your hearing aids and ensure they keep working for years to come. And if you buy a hearing aid from Beltone, you get access to Belcare, which offers you a lifetime of hearing aid care. Follow these seven tips to properly clean and care for your hearing aids:
1. Avoid moisture or heat. To prolong the life of your hearing aids, store them in a cool, dry place and never immerse them in water. Don’t wear your hearing aids in the shower or swimming pool, or while using a hair dryer or hairspray. Excessive moisture may require a dehumidifier or silica-based drying agent that can be purchased from your hearing care professional.
2. Clean regularly to keep free of earwax. A buildup of earwax can lead to decreased performance of your hearing aids over time. On a daily basis, use a damp cloth or cotton swab to gently remove earwax that may be on the device. Check out Beltone’s cleaning kit.
3. Pay attention to signs your hearing aid is in need of repair. If you hear feedback, distorted sound, or the volume is not loud enough, you should get your device checked as soon as possible. Distorted sound or volume issues may be a result of a low battery or debris caught in the device, but having your hearing aid checked early could prevent further damage.
4. Take care when handling your hearing aids. Because modern hearing aids are so tiny, it's advisable to place them in a small container after you remove them. This may prevent knocking them to the floor, or putting an item on top of them. When changing hearing aid batteries, hold your hearing instruments above a soft surface, such as a towel-draped table, in case you drop them.
5. Maintain your batteries. If left in too long, batteries can cause damage to your hearing aids. Open the battery door at night to allow internal components to dry, and remove them entirely if not using for a day or more.
6. Use the correct battery size for your hearing aids. If you use zinc-air batteries, let them sit outside of your hearing aid for a full minute after you remove the battery tab and before you insert them. This will insure that the batteries charge fully and give you the longest possible battery life.
7. Schedule routine cleanings. Even with proper at home care, it is recommended to bring your hearing aids in to be checked regularly by your hearing care professional. A Beltone hearing aid purchase includes our Belcare service. With this free program, you will receive regular cleanings of your hearing aids along with a two year protection for a change in hearing loss.